PowerEdge 2321DS Console Switch

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Tue Apr 13 14:01:40 CDT 2010

On 13 Apr 2010, at 00:20, Jonathan B. Horen wrote:

> Does anyone have experience with this KVM switch? (or its 8- or 16-
> port versions)
>
> Positive feedback? Negative? Pros/Cons? Sage advice?

It appears to be a redbadged Avocent KVM-IP switch.

How much are Dell listing it at?

Do you have experiences with KVM-IP switches in general?

What us your usage? Will it be located in a datacentre on the other
side of the globe, or within walking / driving distance? Do you expect
to use it daily or once or twice a year? How urgently do you need to
deploy? What lifecycle do you expect out of your purchase?

I'm very pleased with the Blackbox KV9308A I bought recently. IMO, and
if you have the money to buy new, another brand worth looking at is
Opengear.

I don't have a lot of experience with KVM-IP switches, but the
experience I do have leads me to believe that none are perfect. Both
the ones I've used have their quirks, and these are only really
appreciated by experience / comparison. The designers of one KVM-IP
will choose to do things one way, of another differently; which is
"best" depends on your needs and personal preferences. And
unfortunately these units are not sold in huge quantities (compared to
PCs, servers, network products in general or, for example, graphics
cards), nor are there that many people who have experience using a
variety of them. So it's not terribly easy to get a lot of experience
of using different models or to find people with such experience who
have the time to share it. Many suppliers (either the manufacturer
themselves or resellers) offer a demonstration; if you're buying new
then try as many as possible. The demonstration button on a supplier's
website invariably leads to an HTML form asking for name, address &
email, so undoubtedly all such suppliers simply set a username &
password on a test unit and invite you to log in whilst on the phone
with their salesman.

I think KVM-IPs are amongst the coolest technologies on the planet
today. I am happy to spend hours discussing them. But I need more
information, otherwise I could be wasting my time. Quite possibly you
know more than I do.

Stroller.