PowerEdge 1950 LCD display

David_C_Miller at Dell.com David_C_Miller at Dell.com
Tue Apr 13 09:02:20 CDT 2010

Hi Mark,

I have seen this before and we found it was the LCD display cable had worked loose, reseating the cable resolved the issue. It may not be the same problem you are having though. Its cable 2 on diagram 3-25 on the link below:

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pe1950/en/hom/html/install.htm#wp1108856

Its best to be careful though, the cable connects to a ZIF socket and they can be delicate.

Cheers,

David.

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com [mailto:linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com] On Behalf Of Mark Watts
Sent: 13 April 2010 14:53
To: Weilnau, Wayne
Cc: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: RE: PowerEdge 1950 LCD display

On Tue, 2010-04-13 at 08:24 -0500, Wayne_Weilnau at Dell.com wrote:
> Mark, Its been a while since I looked at a 1950, but I believe there
> is  a setting that controls LCD message behavior.  I believe there are
> options to set it to off, default (display model and error messages),
> or custom message.  This setting is probably in BIOS setup (F2) but
> may be in the DRAC/BMC option ROM (CTRL-E).  In general, the LCD will
> only show failure messages.  I'm not sure if a power supply removal
> would fall into that category.  You could unplug a fan as another
> test.

Yeah, I've gone through the three options (None, Default, User-Defined) and they don't change anything. Ctrl-E doesn't have any related options.

The 1950 next to it in the rack (they should be the same hw config) is showing a PSU Redundancy failure with one PSU unplugged, so this server should do the same.

Any other ideas? I see a little reset(?) switch that looks like it needs a paper clip to use - is that a real system reset or does it do the LCD by any chance?

Mark.

--
Mark Watts BSc RHCE MBCS
Senior Systems Engineer, Managed Services Manpower www.QinetiQ.com QinetiQ - Delivering customer-focused solutions GPG Key: http://www.linux-corner.info/mwatts.gpg