non-Dell hard drives attached to PERC H700 and H800

Shane Williams broot at ischool.utexas.edu
Tue Apr 13 08:18:49 CDT 2010

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010, Stephan van Hienen wrote:

> I saw the following post on the dell forum :
>
> http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/servers/f/906/t/19324790.aspx
>
>> Dell will no longer prevent customer use of non-Dell hard drives
>attached to PERC H700 and H800 controllers on our 11th generation of
>PowerEdge servers. A Q2FY11 PERC Firmware Update is planned to allow
>non-Dell hard drives to be used with these controllers.

I found the Q2FY11 estimate to be rather strange, thinking that it was
odd to announce a firmware update a year in advance. But apparently
Dell starts their fiscal year in February, so we're currently in
Q1FY11, meaning the update should be due in the next 2-3 months.

Of course, now I have to question a company whose fiscal year is off
of real years by 11 months...  (maybe this is more commonplace than I
realize?)

--
Shane Williams
Coordinator of Information Technology & System Administrator