2 x PE2950 different OMSA outputs

David_C_Miller at Dell.com David_C_Miller at Dell.com
Thu Apr 8 09:20:22 CDT 2010

Hi Nick,

The 2950 has 8 memory slots - it was interesting to me that the maximum
amount of memory you can get with 4GB dimms and 8 slots is 32GB, but
with 8 GB dimms and 8 slots you can get 64GB.

Looking at: http://ftp.us.dell.com/bios/PE2950-020601BIOS.txt

Support for 8GB dimms is added at bios version 2.3.1 and your systems
are at 2.2.6.

I don't understand why one system is reporting that it can support more
memory at an earlier bios version but I suspect that Wayne is right with
a bios update being the fix.

The bios update is available here - I don't know if you could try it on
one system and see it resolves?
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&de
viceid=11598&libid=1&releaseid=R222230&vercnt=12&formatcnt=0&SystemID=PW
E_2950&os=RH52&osl=en&catid=-1&dateid=-1&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&impid=-1&
checkFormat=true

Cheers,

David.