2 x PE2950 different OMSA outputs

Wayne_Weilnau at Dell.com Wayne_Weilnau at Dell.com
Thu Apr 8 08:44:54 CDT 2010

The information that is displayed by OMSA comes straight from BIOS.  My initial guess is that the system that claims to support only 32G has an older BIOS than the one that claims 64G.  Check your BIOS versions and upgrade if the 32G is older.

Wayne Weilnau
Systems Management Technologist
Dell | OpenManage Software Development

Confidentiality Notice | This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential or proprietary information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, immediately contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces-Lists On Behalf Of Nick Lunt
Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2010 8:37 AM
To: Miller, David C. (Glasgow)
Cc: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: RE: 2 x PE2950 different OMSA outputs

Hi David

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_i
> fo/details?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=gen
>
> Then go to the original system configuration tab it will look
something
> like:
> Quantity	Parts #	Part Description
> 5		PE 2950 III QUAD CORE XEON E5410 (2.33GH
> 5		RISER WITH PCI EXPRESS SUPPORT (2X PCIE
> 5		PE2950 ENGLISH WITH RACK POWER CORD
> 5		PE2950 BEZEL ASSEMBLY
> 5		4GB (4X1GB SINGLE RANK DIMMS) 667MHZ FBD
>
> Were the III on the first line identifies the chassis as a mark III.
>
> If it's a mark I chassis it won't have any identifier.
>
> There will be a better way to do this and someone on the list far more
> knowledgeable than myself will come along and tell you, however this
> will help you if you need to know now for a small number of tags!
>
> Cheers,
>
> David.

OK that gives me the generation number, and all my PE2950's are gen III.

So why is one server advertising it can hold 64GB and another server
advertising it can hold 32GB, both servers are gen III PE2950's.

Anything else that could be causing this discrepancy ?

Thanks
Nick .

signature database 5009 (20100408) __________

http://www.eset.com