Power measurements

Andrew Sharp andy.sharp at lsi.com
Mon Apr 5 15:58:16 CDT 2010

On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 14:39:34 -0600 "Wayne_Weilnau at Dell.com"
<Wayne_Weilnau at Dell.com> wrote:

> Power is actually reported in wall draw.  This includes drives, power
> supply inefficiencies, etc.  In the case of a blade system, the power
> is measured at the blade but is converted to wall draw.  It includes
> all devices on the blade, but does not include any chassis
> infrastructure such as fans, IO modules, Chassis management
> controller, etc.  The Chassis management controller also reports
> power consumption.  This also is reported in the context of wall
> draw.  Since it monitors the entire chassis, this number includes
> fans, blades, CMCs, IO modules, power supply inefficiencies, etc.  I
> will respond to some of the other issues raised by John Lloyd
> separately when I have time to verify a few items.
>
> Wayne Weilnau
> Systems Management Technologist
> Dell | OpenManage Software Development

Hm.  Well, I've seen several cases where they don't match, and none
where they do.  (None involving blade systems).  Is it possible that
some systems have better sensor placement than others?  Unfortunately, I
don't have any specific information because this was at a previous place
of employ.

Cheers,