Disk fault with LSI MPT-SAS & MegaRAID

Henry-Nicolas Tourneur hntourneur at mactelecom.com
Tue Sep 29 07:52:04 CDT 2009

Hi,

I got a question about 2 raid controllers : the MegaRAID I got in
PowerEdge 2900 (Symbios Logic MegaRAID SAS 1078) and second, the Fusion
MPT-SAS I got in R710 (Symbios Logic SAS1068E PCI-Express).

The question is quite simple : what's the rule used to say that a drive
is faulty ? the test case is quite simple : I "hot remove" the disk but
this is not realistic. In the real life, I would like to know what are
the required conditions to declare a drive faulty (eg: more than x % of
bad sector ... don't know).

Does anybody have an idea on this ?

Regards,

--