Network stability problems on R710 servers and BCM5709

Ryan Pugatch rpug at tripadvisor.com
Sun Sep 27 13:33:53 CDT 2009

Evangelos Souglakos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are experiencing network problems on i/o and network loaded R710
> Poweredge servers. Network connectivity dies after some time.
> The systems needs to be powered down to bring the NICs back to life.

You should be able to bring up the network again by doing 'service
network restart' rather than rebooting the machine.

Supposedly, loading the bnx2 module with disable_msi=1 resolves this
problem.

There is a version of the netxtreme driver available that is newer than
the one provided by RHEL/CentOS.  You can get this from Dell's site.  In
my experience, using this driver resolves the problem.

--
Ryan Pugatch
Systems Administrator, TripAdvisor