External serial port doesn't work after SOL activated on R710

Frank Wang wg at yarbs.cn
Tue Sep 22 02:43:26 CDT 2009

  I made my conclusion too early. I still got NUT alert mail this morning
when the server was powered on again. I've checked the BIOS external
port setting was mysteriously modified to "Remote Access Device" again
WITHOUT OMSA installed.
The OS of the server is Centos-5.3-x86_64 with kernel 2.6.18-164.el5. For
serial console, I've only modified /boot/grub/grub.conf, /etc/inittab and
/etc/securetty:
/boot/grub/grub.conf
  serial --unit=1 --speed=115200 --word=8 --parity=no --stop=1
  terminal --timeout=5 console serial
  Title CentOS (2.6.18-164.el5)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel ... console=tty0 console=ttyS1,115200n8

/etc/inittab
  s1:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -f /etc/issue 115200 ttyS1 vt100

/etc/securetty
  ttyS1

   The related BIOS serial settings:
Serial Communication .......... On with Console Redirection via COM2
Serial Port Address ........... Serial Device1=COM1,Serial Device2=COM2
External Serial Connector ..... Serial Device1
Failsafe Baud Rate ............ 115200
Remote Terminal Type .......... VT100/VT220
Redirection After Boot ........ Disabled
   The automatically altered option is the External Serial Connector.
Other BIOS settings are default except the CPU Virtualization
Technology is enabled.

   The related NUT config file /etc/ups/ups.conf
[apc]
        driver = apcsmart
        port = /dev/ttyS0
        sdtype = 1
        desc = "For all test servers"

    The main applications on the server are Oracle 10g2, Weblogic 8.1 and
VMware-Server-2.0.1. Is there anything we did wrong?