External serial port doesn't work after SOL activated on R710

Frank Wang wg at yarbs.cn
Mon Sep 21 12:28:59 CDT 2009

    The setting was changed to "Remote Access Device" this time, and it's
caused by the "Redirection After Boot" option in BIOS serial settings.
Disable it makes both NUT and SOL happy. I rebooted the server, and
everything works like a charm.
Then I installed OMSA-6.1.0-648, rebooted, and NUT stopped working
immediately. The external port was automatically modified to "Remote
Access Device" again. Uninstall OMSA and revert the external serial
connector to the COM1 device make everything works again.
    It turned out the OMSA-6.1.0-648 is the culprit. It will automatically
change the BIOS external serial port setting if Serial console
enabled.