External serial port doesn't work after SOL activated on R710

Frank Wang wg at yarbs.cn
Mon Sep 21 05:25:18 CDT 2009

Hi all,
    We've setup the IPMI over LAN and SOL (Serial over LAN) on a R710
server. The SOL works fine but the UPS monitor program stopped. The
program is NUT and it uses the external serial port connecting to an
APC UPS. The device is /dev/ttyS0 in the ups.conf. The SOL uses COM2
as Device2 for console redirection, and the external serial device was
set to COM1 in BIOS. I don't see any conflict there.
    Does anyone experience similar problem after activating SOL?

Regards,
Frank Wang