IT Assistant & IPv6

John Oliver joliver at john-oliver.net
Mon Sep 14 12:47:52 CDT 2009

I had to enable IPv6 on my servers.  Now, IT Assistant is directing me
to set a Java parameter that will, apparently, force Java to prefer IPv6
over IPv4  Unacceptable... there is no good reason for this.  And given
IT Assistant's track record of weird issues, I wouldn't be surprised if
it doesn't work properly over IPv6

It's going to be a long time before IPv6 is widely deployed enough to be
preferred over IPv4  I cannot have every Java application that needs to
connect to something over the network be forced to use IPv6 simply to
make IT Assistant happy.  This is guaranteed to cause timeouts and all
sorts of weird issues.