Ordering drive carriers from Dell - summary

Aleks McKinney aleks.mckinney at ois.com
Fri Sep 11 13:07:44 CDT 2009

The part number is different because the sata drive sits just a little bit
further back for the interposer.  The sataU caddy has screw holes for both
sas and sata w/interposer.  The SAS specification does provide for the sata
connection directly into the SAS backplane.  And I have read in places
people screwing in the sata drive in the SAS position and directly attaching
it to the SAS backplane with mixed results.  What has become my piecemail
understanding, someone please correct me, is that the SAS specification
allows for dual paths to the physical drives.  SATA does not natively allow
this.  The MD1000 is capable of having two controllers with active-active
access to the drives.  The interposer allows the sata drives to have the
dual path capability.  Check out
http://www.knowledgetransfer.net/dictionary/Storage/en/SATA_interposer_board
.htm for some info an sata interposer.

I'm not sure what happens when you have SAS drives and SATA drives without
an interposer on the same backplane.

Again, someone please feel free to correct me.

Aleks