Recommendations

Scott McClanahan smcclanahan at sigovs.com
Wed Sep 9 12:16:22 CDT 2009

I'm new to managing dell systems and am curious whether or not features
in the OMSA and other dell provided and linux supported utilities are a
must from the lists perspectives.  With modern enough ipmitools and the
modules provided with the distribution is there anything I'm missing
that the other admins on the list couldn't live without?  Currently,
we're not doing anything fancy with the local storage but there is a
MDS3000 sitting behind one of the systems.

Are the smart utilities capable of reporting hard drive events from
local SAS drives on the poweredge (2950 in particular) or do you guys
use something else to report hard drive events?  Thanks.