community repos + SUSE

Jan-Willem Arnold jwar at xs4all.nl
Wed Sep 9 10:49:12 CDT 2009

Hi,

Trying to be able to monitor the status of my system I also like to
share some experiences.

PowerEdge 2850
OpenSuse 11.1
Perc4/Di
SCSI 320 disks

Some results
- pediags. Used to work properly on OpenSuse 10. Downloaded a new
version 2.9 and was able to install it. But it fails completely to see
the raid controller and the hard disks. Downgraded to version 2.6
after uninstalling 2.9 doesn't change anything. 2.6 works well on Suse
10.1.

- omsa whatever version. Doesn't install. Don't want to find out why
at this point because others don't seem to have success as well.

- You can download from linux.dell.com/storage.shtml the package perc-
cerc-apps-6.03-A06.tar.gz
This will bring you the following:
-- dellmgr. You'll see the set up app from the Perc adaptor on your
desktop. Just like when you hit ctrl-m during setup. In this app you
can do F2 to check the health of your drives. Of course this is a
dangerous app, since you're just a few steps away from accidentally
clearing your RAID array.
-- megamon. This will check your system and report problems. So it
says. Can even send mail to you. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be
able to log the detailed  smart attributes. I feel there is no way to
be sure whether it actually gets the proper data untill a drive crashes.

Conclusions
- I will not rely on support for Linux in the future on this platform.
Only choose components from manufacturers who support mainstream Linux
tools, no proprietary stuff anymore. It would be far better when Dell
contributed to those tools that are standard included in Linux
distro's. Such as smartmontools. That way there should be less need to
bother with every new release. If you support Linux, do it the Linux
way.

- There might be a problem below the application layer that explains
why the raid controller is not visible. This because the old pediags
worked fine on suse 10.  For that reason I don't want to trust megamon
too much, until it can show me the smart attributes it should be
reading.

regards,

Jan-Willem Arnold