Alternative way to monitor RAID

Roehrig, Jack (John) Jack.Roehrig at ask.com
Mon Sep 7 13:28:01 CDT 2009

In our production environment we have a mix of [12][789]50s and use two solutions to monitor RAID. The first one uses an old percsnmp package I found on Dell's website that provides SNMP OIDs that we then check with our monitors. The other method uses MegaCLI like this:

  NUMDISKSONLINE=`/opt/MegaRAID/MegaCli/MegaCli  -PDList -aALL |grep Online |wc -l`
  if [ $NUMDISKSONLINE -lt 2 ]
  then
    addmsg "I have one or more degraded disks in my RAID array" MSG
    addexit 2 RET
  fi

I prefer percsnmpd, but I use the MegaCLI on our [12]950s because the PERCs are not compatible with percsnmpd for some reason.

-Jack Roehrig