PowerEdge T300 - Questions about Raid and Hot Swapping

Wed Sep 2 06:22:19 CDT 2009

Last weekend, I was setting up a PowerEdge T300.

It's got the following configuration:
     Quad Core Intel® Xeon® X3323, 2.5GHz, 2x3M Cache, 1333MHz FSB
     2GB DDR2, 667MHz, 2x1GB Single Ranked DIMMs
     Hot Plug Add-in PERC6/i(SATA/SAS Controller)support 3-4 Hard Drive-RAID 5
     250GB 7.2k RPM Serial ATA 3Gbps 3.5-in Hot Plug Hard Drive
     250GB 7.2k RPM Serial ATA 3Gbps 3.5-in Hot Plug Hard Drive
     250GB 7.2k RPM Serial ATA 3Gbps 3.5-in Hot Plug Hard Drive
     250GB 7.2k RPM Serial ATA 3Gbps 3.5-in Hot Plug Hard Drive
     16x DVD-ROM Drive, Internal, SATA
     On-Board Dual Gigabit Network Adapter

The drives are setup on a Raid 5 array.

I've got a questions regarding the hot swappable capabilities and the raid's.

First question,
If a drive where to fail and I had to swap it with the system running,
Do I have to do anything on the OS do I just have to open the bay,
pull the drive, insert a new one and wait till it rebuilds?

Second question,
Does the raid rebuilds it self automatically upon insertion of a new drive?

Now to the third question,
If I wanted to change the drives, from the 250GB ones to 1TB ones,
How would I do this?
Can I exchange one of the drives, wait till it rebuilds,
exchange another, wait,
exchange the other one, wait
and exchange the final one?

Will the card detect this and rebuild using the hard drives or do I
have to halt the system and rebuild the array and reinstall
everything?

I haven't worked with raids controller cards or hot swappable drives
in the past.
The only raids I've worked with have been built using software.

it's running Debian 5, Lenny

-- Rubén