minimal open manage server admin

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Tue Mar 31 22:18:10 CDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 08:09:02PM -0400, Jon Sabo wrote:
>    I'm sure this has been asked and answered on here a few times but I
>    couldn't seem find it in the threads.
>
>    What are the minimum rpm's required for Dell Open Manage server admin?*
>    The goals are to be able to automattically configure the bios settings, on
>    board raid cards,

For this, the Deployment Toolkit (DTK) is even more minimal than
OMSA.  See ftp.dell.com/sysman/dtk-* files for the latest.

>   and whatever monitoring comes along with it.* No DRAC
>    cards in the servers.

not sure what monitoring you need, but then you likely need OMSA, not
just DTK.

>    The other question is about DKMS.* Is it required and do you need to have
>    a compiler installed (gcc) to use Dell Open Manage* Server Admin.* I'm
>    looking for the basic functionality minus all unnessary daemons and web
>    services.* I just want the cli.* This is for RHEL4 and RHEL5 os's.

No, you do not need a compiler installed.  DKMS doesn't require one.
However, you don't get the
automatically-recompiled-modules-for-your-kernel feature then.

For RHEL 4.7 (and probably somewhat earlier), and RHEL5, you shouldn't
need any DKMSified drivers to run OMS.  The kernel has sufficient
IPMI, dcdbas, and dell_rbu drivers already.

--
Matt Domsch
linux.dell.com & www.dell.com/linux