Tuning DD for server image

J. Epperson Dell at epperson.homelinux.net
Tue Mar 31 14:55:59 CDT 2009

On Tue, March 31, 2009 12:52, Jeff Boyce wrote:
> John - I actually looked at using G4L based on your previous suggestions,
> and was optimistic about using it for this task.  Since my equipment is
> limited, and being able to test some of these things on the only server
> in the office is even more limited (weekends only), I have been running
> tests using my equipment at home at night.  So I admit that I haven't
> actually tried G4L on my office PE2600.  My home server is an old Dell
> Pentium 4 and my desktop is a new Optiplex, running Vista with Filezilla
> ftp server, and this is the setup that I was having problems using G4L.
> The error I was receiving in the FTP log was that the connection was
> being dropped, about 20 percent of the way through the transfer.  On the
> next attempt, I started Wireshark to watch the process and the same thing
> happened, but also Wireshark crashed at that same point (first time I
> have seen Wireshark crash).  I was able to repeat this a couple of
> several times, then gave up and went on to try dd piped through ssh,
> which has been successful in my initial tests.  As a side note I don't
> understand why the same dd piped through netcat is giving me different
> results than dd piped through ssh.  After I am done with this task I will
> probably post this scenario and see if someone can explain to me the
> difference between them, or identify what I was doing wrong with netcat.

Ah, Vista.  I suspect that's an issue with your home testbed.  I also do
test scenarios at home, but I'm fortunate to have an old Precision 530
with a PERC3 as my home server, and a variety of clunkers running Linux
and XP (and one HTPC running Vista, a mistake).  I've tested Filezilla on
XP as the target ftp server with g4l, with good results.  Have you tried
"Run as administrator" when starting Filezilla on the Vista box?

Another option to consider:  drop a USB 2.0 PCI card in the 2600 and
connect the USB drive directly.  Cards are readily available for $10-20.
Stay away from Ali chipsets though, don't play nice with Linux in my
experience.