Tuning DD for server image

linux-poweredge at ml.epigenomics.com linux-poweredge at ml.epigenomics.com
Tue Mar 31 00:16:03 CDT 2009

Hi,

have you tried Clonezilla? http://clonezilla.org/

"Clonezilla, based on DRBL, Partition Image, ntfsclone, partclone,
and udpcast, allows you to do bare metal backup and recovery. Two types
of Clonezilla are available, Clonezilla live and Clonezilla SE (server
edition). Clonezilla live is suitable for single machine backup and
restore. While Clonezilla SE is for massive deployment, it can clone
many (40 plus!) computers simultaneously. Clonezilla saves and restores
only used blocks in the harddisk. This increases the clone efficiency.
At the NCHC's Classroom C, Clonezilla SE was used to clone 41 computers
simultaneously. It took only about 10 minutes to clone a 5.6 GBytes
system image to all 41 computers via multicasting!"

We are currently using it to image our laptops, but it should be
suitable for your task, too.

Regards
--
Robert Sander                     Senior Manager Information Systems
Epigenomics AG    Kleine Praesidentenstr. 1    10178 Berlin, Germany
http://www.epigenomics.com             robert.sander at epigenomics.com