Mtx command to automate backups.

Rainer Traut tr.ml at gmx.de
Mon Mar 30 07:48:03 CDT 2009

Hi,

Ian Mortimer schrieb:
> On Fri, 2009-03-27 at 17:14 +0530, nitin.gizare at wipro.com wrote:
>
>> We have TL200 tape library and we have requirement of running backups.
>>
>> As of now we are browse with Library using web browser and do a tape
>> management.
>>
>> I was thinking of automating using mtx command
>>
>> Can some body help with there past experience?
>
> Works quite well with our PowerVault 132T LTO3.  However I had to
> rebuild the kernel with CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN=y (and repeat for
> every kernel upgrade).

Which OS? With EL5/Centos5 it's not needed.

I'm using mtx with a PV-122T as well like:
mtx -f /dev/changer unload
mtx -f /dev/changer load 5

and tar for backup:
tar -vc -b 128 --totals -f /dev/st0 --exclude="/opt/dell*"
--exclude="/opt/trend*" $DIRS > /root/bin/$DAY

THe problem I have is, I cannot give names to the tapes and I have to
keep 4 sets of backup. So if someone misses the change of the tapes my
script starts to overwrite...

Any hints for this?
Rainer