Is Write back cache enabled on physical disks of Perc 6/i ?

Christian Rishøj christian at jetment.com
Fri Mar 27 03:15:40 CDT 2009

On 27 Mar 2009, at 01:00, Avleen Vig wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 5:26 PM, Dushyanth <dushyanth at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Controller PERC 5/i Adapter (Slot 3)
>> ID                  : 0
>> Status              : Ok
>> Name                : RAID1
>> State               : Ready
>> Progress            : Not Applicable
>> Layout              : RAID-1
>> Size                : 465.25 GB (499558383616 bytes)
>> Device Name         : /dev/sda
>> Type                : SATA
>> Read Policy         : No Read Ahead
>> Write Policy        : Write Back
>> Cache Policy        : Not Applicable
>> Stripe Element Size : 64 KB
>> Disk Cache Policy   : Enabled
>> ^^^^
>
> This is interesting.. my server (which seems to have poor performance
> with the disks) says this is disabled. I'd quite like to enable it.
> Any idea how I could do that?

$ sudo omconfig storage vdisk -?
vdisk            Supports virtual disk configuration commands.

[...]

action=changepolicy
     Required parameters are:
         controller=id
         vdisk=id
     Optional parameters are:
         readpolicy=<ra | nra | ara | rc | nrc>
         writepolicy=<wb | wt | wc | nwc | fwb>
         cachepolicy=<d | c>
	  diskcachepolicy=<disabled | enabled>
lets user modify read, write and/or cache policy of the given virtual
disk

[...]

With best regards

Christian Rishøj