Is Write back cache enabled on physical disks of Perc 6/i ?

Dushyanth dushyanth at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 05:32:45 CDT 2009

Hi,

Some corrections :)

> These servers are all Dell and have Battery backup.

These are CMOS batteries and not BBUs on the controllers. My bad. `omreport
storage controller` doesn't say anything about the batteries.

> Also, If a IPMI based power recycle is executed on a busy mail server and
> assuming write back cache is enabled on the physical disks and also on the
> virtual disk - would the controller ensure data is flushed by the physical
> disks cache as well ? Cos if the controller doesn't ensure that physical
> disks flush their cache it might lead to FS corruption.

Above questions don't make any sense as there is no battery backup on the
controller and its obvious that power cycle will corrupt the FS if write back
cache is enabled on the disks or even the virtual disks.

> Any pointers/suggestions would be of great help.

Does anyone know if write back cache is enabled on the physical disks of
Perc 6/I controllers ?

TIA
Dushyanth