poweredge t105 dual netcards - one not working

Desai, Jason jase at sensis.com
Mon Mar 23 10:18:00 CDT 2009

> I tried what you suggested - used a live Knoppix CD and lo and behold,
> it saw both my ethernet cards rigth away. One eth0 with e1000 and the
> other, eth1, with tg3. (both works)
>
> Now when I go back into debian and edit the modprobe.conf to
> alias eth0 e1000
> alias eth1 tg3
>
> I do the modprobe tg3
>
> and then try to restart the network (/etc/ini.d/networking restart ) I
> get:
> " Reconfiguring network interfaces...SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
> eth1: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
> SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
> eth1: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
> Failed to bring up eth1.
> done. "

Perhaps Debian is giving the devices a different name due to some
persistent network settings in udev.  Does "ifconfig -a" show other
Ethernet devices?  If you see an eth2 and eth3, then maybe you need to
modify or remove your /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules (etch)
or /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules (lenny).

Or check dmesg and see exactly what is happening when you load your
Ethernet kernel modules.

Jase