Re: Dual power supply draw?

michalwd1979 michalwd1979 at o2.pl
Mon Mar 23 00:51:33 CDT 2009

My experience from PE2850 with single or dual PSUs:

The load on different PSUs is balanced. Each draws more or less the same. However each PSU needs about 40-50W just when it is connected to power line. So on stand-by you need 40-50W more power. With power-on it is a bit worse - efficiency of partially loaded PSU is lower. In my case server with 2 PSUs draws about 80W more power then with 1. Anyway efficiency of the PSU is bad, really.

There should be no problems with separate circuits if the ground wire is connected right. Internally the PSUs are isolated, each has separate PFC circuit and so on.

I've seen somewhere at Dell web page with on-line power calculator. You select server, configuration, ect. and it gives you power consumption. I can not locate it now, sorry.

Michael