PERC agent failing

Joe Lewis jlewis at overstock.com
Thu Mar 19 11:52:01 CDT 2009

Hello;

I have a Dell 2850 with a PERC 4e/Di RAID device running RedHat EL4, and
I am unable to monitor the PERC device via SNMP.  When I start the PERC
SNMP agent (/etc/init.d/percsnmpd start), I see one error, but it still
claims the service started successfully :

Mar 19 10:26:57 servername Dell PERC SNMP Agent: Agent Ver 5.04 (Oct 16,
2004) Started
Mar 19 10:26:57 servername kernel: ioctl32(percagent:32450): Unknown cmd
fd(1) cmd(00006d00){00} arg(ffffd060) on /etc/percsnmp/megasnmp
Mar 19 10:26:57 servername percagent: Dell PERC SNMP Agent Ver 5.04 (Oct
16, 2004) Started
Mar 19 10:26:57 servername percsnmpd: percagent startup succeeded

When I attempt an SNMP walk, the percmain is launched, however, the
percagent shuts down :

Mar 19 10:12:20 servername snmpd[4052]: Received SNMP packet(s) from
10.1.1.17
Mar 19 10:12:20 servername Dell PERC SNMP Agent: Agent Abormal termination

It puts snmpd into an unusable state (waiting on percmain, which is
still running).  I'm using the latest thing I can find about the
percsnmp (percsnmp-5.04-2) as I can't find anything newer than 2005
regarding percsnmp.

Is there anything later (other than the OpenManage) that works on 64-bit
platforms?

Joe Lewis

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This message is intended only for the use and review of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged and confidential.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message solely to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify sender immediately by telephone or return email.  Thank you.