Image server across network

J. Epperson Dell at epperson.homelinux.net
Wed Mar 18 18:16:48 CDT 2009

It will go faster if you zero out the free space first (dd if=/dev/zero
of=bigfile;rm bigfile) and pipe the dd command Patrick suggests through
lzop.  The processing time trade-off for the compression will be less than
the transfer time for the raw image, in my experience.  Zeroing out the
free space is key, lets the compression work best.

Or just stick Filezilla or the ftp server of your choice on the Vista box
and use g4l:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l

It's a Linux boot environment that basically does a dd through lzop and
netcat to an ftp server.  I've imaged Poweredges with it for several
years.  Nice menu front end, good to have when you need to restore and
don't have time to think through how to do it from the command line.