Image server across network

Wed Mar 18 17:26:48 CDT 2009

As long as you're happy with dd, just mount a network share off your
desktop and run dd if=/dev/sda of=/mnt/share/file.img bs=512... may take
a while for 140GB depending on network speed though.

If you want it faster you may want to look into actual file backup
utilities (as opposed to block), such as BackupPC. Or something like
rsync.

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com
[mailto:linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com] On Behalf Of Jeff Boyce
Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 5:19 PM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: Image server across network

Greetings -

I have a PE2600 that I am scheduling some maintenance on (e.g., firmware

updates).  This is my only Linux box in my small office and is used
mainly
as a Samba file server for about 10 Windows clients.  Before I conduct
the
firmware upgrades I plan on making an image of my server so that it can
be
restored easily if anything goes bad during the firmware updates.  I
have
done this in the past by attaching a portable usb hard drive directly to
my
server, boot the server to a live linux CD, and issue a command such as:
dd
if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=8192 conv=noerror,sync.  Where sda is my
raid5
virtual drive and sdb is the usb drive.

The problem is that with my PE2600 the usb device is very slow (usb
1.0),
and in order to image the entire 140 GB it takes about 36 hours.  I am
wondering if there is a more efficient way for me to create my server
image,
such as connect the portable usb hard drive to my desktop system (a new
Optiplex 755 running Vista), which has a faster usb connection, and
create
the image across the network connection.  I use Putty and NX Client from

NoMachine to connect to the server from my desktop system, although I
could
also boot to a live linux CD at my desktop if necessary.  Is this a
feasible
option for what I am trying to do?  And can anyone give me some pointers
on
how I would go about doing this?  Thanks.

Jeff Boyce
www.meridianenv.com