fedora10

Tony Schreiner schreian at bc.edu
Wed Mar 18 10:50:03 CDT 2009

On Mar 18, 2009, at 11:41 AM, madunix wrote:

> I'm trying to get Fedora 10 installed on a new Dell 2850
> It appears to install correctly, but on first boot it fails.
>
> it gave the following message "Unable to access resume device" ..
>
> I checked fstab and grub nothing unusual.
>
> Any input in this issue ?
>
> Thanks

That's not actually the error that is preventing boot; it is a
subsequent inability to find a disk for the root volume. There is a
well known fix:

Boot from rescue cd
and follow the instructions to chroot /mnt/sysimage, then cd /boot

then build an initrd image with

mkinitd --with=scsi_wait_scan  IMAGEFILENAME  2.6.27.5-117.fc10.x86_64

(2.6.27.5-116.fc10.x86_64 should be the kernel you have specified in
your grub.conf)

edit the grub.conf to reflect the newly create IMAGEFILENAME for the
initrd line

You should then be able to boot off disk.

When you do regular yum update you'll get a newer kernel which
actually works.

Tony Schreiner