OMSA relocatable RPMs feature used?

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Wed Mar 11 11:48:49 CDT 2009

RPM has a feature to allow a package's files to be installed
(e.g. "relocatable") into a different directory path.  From the RPM manpage:

       --prefix NEWPATH
              For relocatable binary packages, translate all file
              paths that start with the installation prefix in the
              package relocation hint(s) to NEWPATH.

       --relocate OLDPATH=NEWPATH
              For relocatable binary packages, translate all file
              paths that start with OLDPATH in the package relocation
              hint(s) to NEWPATH.  This option can be used repeatedly
              if several OLDPATHâs in the package are to be relocated.

OMSA 5.x and earlier have tried to provide this feature, with some
success, but at the cost of vastly more complex installation scripts.

For future OMSA versions, I have requested that this feature be
dropped, which greatly simplifies the RPM specs, eliminating hundreds
of lines of %pre and %post scripting.  Relocatable packages are also
"strongly discouraged" by the Fedora Packaging Guidelines [1], which
demonstrate the best practices for creating and maintaining RPMs.

My question for this list: is anyone actually using the relocatable
packages feature of existing OMSA RPMs?  e.g. somehow installing the
RPMs using:

  # rpm --prefix=/somewhere-not-opt srvadmin-...

I believe not, but would like confimation on this point.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Relocatable_packages

Thanks,
Matt

--