Debian Lenny (5.0) on Dell PowerEdge r300

Osburn, Michael Michael.Osburn at echostar.com
Wed Mar 11 10:25:58 CDT 2009

[mailto:linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com] On Behalf Of Alex Mestiashvili
>Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 8:06 AM
>To: linux-poweredge at dell.com
>Subject: Re: Debian Lenny (5.0) on Dell PowerEdge r300
>
>Matheus Bezerra Estrela Rodrigues wrote:
>> On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 13:13:32 +0100
>> Herve Eychenne <rv-dell at eychenne.org> wrote:
>>

>>>  Hello,
>>>
>>> Did anyone manage to get a Debian Lenny (released 2 weeks ago)
>>> run successfully on a Dell PowerEdge r300 (SAS6iR controller
>>> with RAID1 of SATA disks, dual Broadcom Gigabit, etc.)?
>>> Did anything go as expected, any tweaks?
>>>
>>> Note: I could find no report on the web...
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for your help,
>>>
>>>  Herve Eychenne
>>>

>> I have some PowerEdge 2950, and they are no good on lenny debian.
>>
>> Broadcom nics are not recognized on boot (nor installation) and the
boot process is not echoed on screen. it freezes, complaints about one
usb device >(which I have no idea), says bad things about the bnx
firmware and just refresh screen when about to show the prompt.

>Hi ,  install firmware-bnx2 .
>everything works fine for me so far .
>> I installed using manual partitioning and lvm, and got to boot 1 out
of 5 tries. reinstalled using guided and now it boots, but this way I
said above and no nic. this lenny+pe2950 couple doesn't deserve my
confidence yet (for me), I don't see it solid as a rock. etch on the
other way was ok out-of-the-box.

> matheus

Additionaly, the install will look for the firmware off a USB key if you
have it durring the install. It asks about it on every one of our Lenny
installs. The only other issue we had with the 2950s was having one big
array. Lenny does not like to boot off an EFI GPT partition that will be
created if your disk is shown as a 3.7TB (our RAID-5) so we spit off a
pair of disks to mirror and installed the os and /boot to that and
mounted the big disk to where it needed to be.

Michael