Debian Lenny (5.0) on Dell PowerEdge r300

Matheus Bezerra Estrela Rodrigues matheus at tre-pb.gov.br
Wed Mar 11 04:44:05 CDT 2009

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 13:13:32 +0100
Herve Eychenne <rv-dell at eychenne.org> wrote:

>  Hello,
>
> Did anyone manage to get a Debian Lenny (released 2 weeks ago)
> run successfully on a Dell PowerEdge r300 (SAS6iR controller
> with RAID1 of SATA disks, dual Broadcom Gigabit, etc.)?
> Did anything go as expected, any tweaks?
>
> Note: I could find no report on the web...
>
> Thanks in advance for your help,
>
>  Herve Eychenne

I have some PowerEdge 2950, and they are no good on lenny debian.

Broadcom nics are not recognized on boot (nor installation) and the boot process is not echoed on screen. it freezes, complaints about one usb device (which I have no idea), says bad things about the bnx firmware and just refresh screen when about to show the prompt.

I installed using manual partitioning and lvm, and got to boot 1 out of 5 tries. reinstalled using guided and now it boots, but this way I said above and no nic. this lenny+pe2950 couple doesn't deserve my confidence yet (for me), I don't see it solid as a rock. etch on the other way was ok out-of-the-box.

matheus

--
Matheus Bezerra Estrela Rodrigues <matheus at tre-pb.gov.br>

We will call you cygnus,