Driving me nuts - Dell SAS card boot issue

dnk d.k.emaillists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 13:01:06 CDT 2009

[Issue]

I have created 2 raid 1 (with 4 drives) arrays on my system. Now when
i install CentOS (5.2 - 64bit), all goes fine for the install, but
upon reboot, it will never boot off of the drive. It just sits at the
remote card (press ctrl+e) prompt. I have used the default
partitioning scheme as CentOS defines.

Any ideas? I just preferred to use the RAID card as opposed to a
software raid (which can be done if i have to).

Thanks in advance.

[System]
- Dell 2950
- CentOS 5.2 (64bit) - no updates yet applied
- Dell SAS 6 Host Bus Adapter (SAS6IR)
- MPTBIOS-6.22.03.33
- SAS Firmware revision: 0.25.47.00-IR
- SAS is enabled
- Boot order 0
- Boot Support: Enable BIOS & OS
- NCQ: Enabled
- PHY Properties --> Discovery Status: 00000000

[RAID Properties]

Array: 1 of 2
Identifier: Dell VIRTUAL DISK 1028
Type: RAID 1 (IM)