Backplane replacement

Nick_Parrott at Dell.com Nick_Parrott at Dell.com
Tue Mar 10 07:40:33 CDT 2009

Hi Jeff,

This should be seamless, the RAID config allows for "roaming" on most
PERCs, but it's dependant upon the PERC itself.

I'd pop the disks in the same slots to prevent any confusion for the
adapter. Give me a shout if you run into issues.

Regards,

Nick

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com
[mailto:linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com] On Behalf Of Jeff Boyce
Sent: 09 March 2009 22:46
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: Backplane replacement

Greetings -

Does anyone have any direct experience with replacing a backplane on a
PE2600 or similar dell server?  I have a replacement backplane arriving
tomorrow and am wondering if there are any quirks with pulling out the
bad
one and putting in a new one.  This is an out of warranty server so I am
doing the replacement myself.  Any tips and trick, what to be careful
with, or what to look out for?  Will the raid, filesystem, and
partitions
be recognized without having to reinstall from tape backup?

Background: I had two drives of a 5-drive Raid5 show as failed a few
days
ago.  Figuring that the probability of two drives failing together was
pretty low, especially since the drives were of different ages, I
suspected the backplane.  Swapping drives between slots showed that the
failure stayed with the slots and did not move with the drives.

Jeff Boyce
www.meridianenv.com