Backplane replacement

Jeff Boyce jboyce at meridianenv.com
Mon Mar 9 17:45:38 CDT 2009

Greetings -

Does anyone have any direct experience with replacing a backplane on a
PE2600 or similar dell server?  I have a replacement backplane arriving
tomorrow and am wondering if there are any quirks with pulling out the bad
one and putting in a new one.  This is an out of warranty server so I am
doing the replacement myself.  Any tips and trick, what to be careful
with, or what to look out for?  Will the raid, filesystem, and partitions
be recognized without having to reinstall from tape backup?

Background: I had two drives of a 5-drive Raid5 show as failed a few days
ago.  Figuring that the probability of two drives failing together was
pretty low, especially since the drives were of different ages, I
suspected the backplane.  Swapping drives between slots showed that the
failure stayed with the slots and did not move with the drives.

Jeff Boyce
www.meridianenv.com