RHEL5 on a R900

christian.peper at kpn.com christian.peper at kpn.com
Mon Mar 9 10:45:50 CDT 2009

Brian,

AFAIK CPU usage in a VM is a fictitious number. ESX will only give your
VM a clock tick (CPU cycle) if there is something to do. Otherwise the
VM will simply be "frozen". This often confuses time keeping for
instance, as there no clock ticks to measure. :) Time ten doesn't
"pass".

So I think the 90% CPU usage is a very efficient scheduling of ESX to
only give it enough clock tick as are needed to process the bonnie++
tests.

If disk speeds are what they should be, don't worry about it. If I/O is
also very low, then there maybe something going on.

Chris.