RHEL5 on a R900

Brian O'Mahony brian.omahony at curamsoftware.com
Wed Mar 4 09:32:14 CST 2009

Im looking into moving a MySQL server onto a VM on a R900 with ESXi.

However im seeing really slow Read/Write times on the VM.

I have a Pe2800 with 2 x 3.2Ghz Processors, and 4x1Gb RAM, comparing it to a VM with 4x2.13ghz Processors and 4Gig RAM. Unfortunately the 2800 is running 5.2 and the VM is running 5.1, but that's as close as I can get now.

When I run bonnie++ (currently running unbuffered tests, same as my previous tests for more data) I see the CPU usage is at least 5 times that of the 2800, with the general CPU usage being in the high 90s. nothing is currently running on either box during the tests.

Basically what im wondering is has any implemented a high-load MySQL server on a machine such as the R900, or is it just not going to be possible for this kind of usage?