Hard drive performance

John LLOYD jal at mdacorporation.com
Tue Mar 3 13:07:21 CST 2009

> >                Has anyone had similar experiences with
> PE840's?  Were there
> > any driver or firmware changes that improved performance in
> this area?  Both
> > of these were acquired around the April/May 2008 timeframe.

IIRC there were firmware updates to PERC controllers in Sept or Oct of
2008.  It made a big difference for us with SAS disks, but I never did
test our SATA machines, which were "adequate" already.

You could try avoiding the hardware raid and use software raid; that
showed a big diff for me when I tested pre-Sept2008, but, again, on SAS
disks.

--John