Megasas driver lock?

Avleen Vig avleen at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 21:47:22 CST 2009

Poweredge 2950
PERC 6/i
Running Ubuntu with a 2.6.24-23 kernel.

For a few months, a seeming "random" times, the server has been crashing
and resetting or locking up, with no diagnostic data returned.

Running various diagnostic tools hadn't revealed anything.
Most of the crashes I'm aware of had a common trait, where there was a
lot of disk activity (lots of interrupts from megasas).
I tried to reproduce it a few times with bonnie but couldn't make the
system crash.

It happened again tonight, and I saw this on a terminal I fortunately
had open:
  kernel: [3542884.516547] Disabling IRQ #16
IRQ16 is megasas.

This was moments after our monitoring system reported a system load of
just over 85.
The box deadlocked.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm out of ideas.

--
Avleen Vig
Systems Administrator