upgrading to Debian 5.0

Curtis Brown curtisb at yuma.acns.colostate.edu
Sat Feb 28 23:07:36 CST 2009

Jared wrote:
> The biggest thing that worries me based on what I've read so far is the
> mdadm/RAID issue.  I have a PERC5/i on a PE 2950.  Is this something
> that I should look out for?  I'm using hardware RAID w/ LVM, and I
> believe that mdadm only comes into play with software RAIDs, so I think
> I should be safe here.  I'd rather be safe than sorry, though.

I just wanted to offer my experiences. Although it's not Debian
related, this sounds a lot like a problem I ran into with mdadm
and SCSI disks.

I was tasked to install RedHat Fedora 10 on a PowerEdge 2650.
The install seemed to work fine. I made my logical volumes, set
the hostname, ip, timezone, etc. It downloaded RPMs and processed
them just fine. Everything looked smooth until the reboot into
the newly installed kernel. The kernel loaded up and then hung
around a line saying "waiting for root filesystem". I tried a
couple of things like smart scan the disks, redo the install, and
so on. But I had to google for an answer.

I found a long-winded dicussion here...

The problem seemed to center around mdadm not waiting for some
kind of scsi scan to complete, at the best I could understand.
The most touted answer had to do with mounting your /boot
filesystem, chroot'ing to it and then use mkinitrd with a
--with=scsi_wait_scan option. Other people described using UUIDs
in grub's menu.lst. What had worked for me was a reletively easy
solution: adding scsi_mod.scan=sync to the kernel line in menu.lst.

title Fedora (2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.i686.PAE)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.i686.PAE ro root=/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 rhgb quiet scsi_mod.scan=sync
        initrd /initrd-2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.i686.PAE.img

I don't know if that's what you're going to encounter. YMMV, but
I hope this helps somebody.

--
Curtis Brown, unix system administrator
Academic Computing and Networking Services
curtis.brown at colostate.edu