upgrading to Debian 5.0

Simon Waters simonw at zynet.net
Thu Feb 26 04:25:17 CST 2009

On Thursday 26 February 2009 05:09:45 Jared wrote:

> So, any experience with this, good or bad?  :-)

Just done all but one of our Debian servers, with most reboots this morning
before folks got in.

This morning I discovered the mdadm feature of lenny.

The kernel in Lenny does mdadm differently, such that you need
a "rootdelay=10" statement on the kernel cmdline, otherwise it doesn't find
your root disk (assuming you have root on a mirrored disk - i.e. md0). Hmm --
quite how this didn't get fixed I don't know. Easy to fix once you know what
it is - stops at "Attached scsi disk" and eventually times out saying the
root disk was not found. Booted the old kernel (which worked fine!), added
the option to /boot/grub/menu.lst - and was away again.

SATA in an SC1425 needed to use UUID in /etc/fstab because we went from 2.4 to
2.6, as the disk name changes from /dev/hda to /dev/sda, also needs to add
options for the root parameter in /boot/grub/menu.lst, I set it for newer
kernels only. I'm adding switch all fstab's to UUID as a low priority task,
as it is more robust if less readable approach to finding your filesystems.

Couple of my boxes hung for a long time on starting ntp - for the moment I've
removed it from the start-up. Problem is something to do with creating lock
files - I assume because we have an inconsistent set of NTP packages or some
such. I think ntpdate is obseleted, and hadn't been removed or some such. Not
a high priority issue for us.

Not hit any Poweredge specific issues yet.

General experience was good, although the mdadm issue did surprise me. Seems a
poor regression - I have hardware RAID most places but they gave their issues
moving from Sarge to Etch.

Most time (outside our own complex software configurations) was boxes which
still had 2.4 kernels. These were 2.4 for Sarge, and I never switched them to
2.6 when Etch came along, but just accepted the default. They all ran happily
with the Etch stock 2.6 kernel so they weren't hard just an extra reboot and
some fiddling around on the first one understanding what was needed. Just
install and boot Etch 2.6 kernel before trying to upgrade to Lenny is
simplest.

Also some of our boxes down have the metapackage for the latest relevant
kernel, so that the Lenny upgrade doesn't seem to have given them an
appropriately shiny kernel by default.

I'd suggest the magic step "aptitude install dpkg aptitude" be replaced
with "aptitude install dpkg aptitude debian-archive-keyring" as depending on
the boxes history it may not have "debian-archive-keyring", and you'll not
have the appropriate package signing key for lenny.

Smile - some poor sap somewhere is updating an SC1425 which is an NTP server
with a 2.4 kernel, and an mdadm mirrored root disk (Actually mdadm uses UUID
is some revisions so they probably wouldn't hit all these issues, although
one of my boxes has the old disk names in the mdadm.conf file?!).

 Simon