Memtest errors on DELL 2650 Resolved

Stuart_Hayes at Dell.com Stuart_Hayes at Dell.com
Tue Feb 24 12:11:47 CST 2009

I seem to recall that the 2650 BIOS (via system management mode) uses
some memory when it is doing legacy emulation of USB devices (i.e.,
making USB keyboards & mice look like PS/2 keyboards and mice).  Once a
real OS (i.e., not DOS) comes up, it should take over control of the USB
controllers, and the BIOS will quit doing that.  BIOS should probably
tell the OS that it uses that memory, too, but I don't know if it does
or if memtest86+ looks at where BIOS says it is using memory.

Stuart

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com
[mailto:linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com] On Behalf Of Simon Waters
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 11:59 AM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: Memtest errors on DELL 2650 Resolved

Oops - deleted my original post as I didn't think I'd be the one
replying to it.

Not BIOS revision
Not RAID firmware revision

memtest86+ errors at the end of memory, but passing DELL memory
memtest86+ diagnostics,
of a DELL Poweredge 2650, is a known problem it seems.

Looks like it is a manufacturing fault, that can be worked around by
disabled USB in the BIOS.

Be interested to know DELL's view on this, the bug reports claims they
were silent on the issue.