setting Dell power restore

Alexander Dupuy alex.dupuy at mac.com
Mon Feb 23 11:53:42 CST 2009

Currently, our Dell PowerEdge 1950 and 2950 systems' power restore
policy (what they do if the power was cut, and then turned back on) is
"always-off":

# ipmitool -I open chassis status | grep -i restore
Power Restore Policy : always-off

In theory, it should be possible to set this to "previous" or at least
"always-on":

# ipmitool -I open chassis policy help
chassis policy <state>
   list        : return supported policies
   always-on   : turn on when power is restored
   previous    : return to previous state when power is restored
   always-off  : stay off after power is restored

However, this command does not work at all:

# ipmitool -I open chassis policy previous
Power Restore Policy command failed: Invalid command
# ipmitool -I open chassis policy always-on
Power Restore Policy command failed: Invalid command
# ipmitool -I open chassis policy list
Power Restore Policy command failed: Invalid command

This is true even with the Dell-supplied version of ipmitool (that seems
mostly just to have added delloem subcommands).  Does anyone know if
there is any way via ipmitool, syscfg, OMSA, BIOS, whatever, to set the
power restore policy on these systems?  Google searches turned up only a
previous request on this list (in July of 2008) that was never answered.

@alex

mailto:alex.dupuy at mac.com