How to change the default password on a DRAC 5?

dnk d.k.emaillists at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 12:46:49 CST 2009

Hi there,

I am having problems finding the proper way to change the default
password on a DRAC 5.

I found references to having to use the racadm tool, and issuing:

# racadm config -g cfgUserAdmin -o cfgUserAdminPassword -i 2
"newpasswordhere"

I figured out how to install from the dell linux repos.

I was just trying to play with it a bit to get familiar, and I am
getting an error:

[root at backup ~]# racadm getconfig -g cfgUserAdmin -i 2
ERROR: RACADM is unable to process the requested subcommand because
there is no
local RAC configuration to communicate with.

Local RACADM subcommand execution requires the following:

  1. A Remote Access Controller (RAC) must be present on the managed
server
  2. Appropriate managed node software must be installed and running
on the

What do I need to do to get it running?

Or is there a simpler way to just change the default password?

Thanks!