SAS 6i Controller - enable in BIOS

dnk d.k.emaillists at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 16:39:54 CST 2009

Hi there,

I just picked up a Dell 2950 that has a SAS 6. I know this card is
limited to Raid 0 or 1.

I have 4 physical drives in the machine. What I was hoping to do is
create 2 separate RAID 1 (2 drives each), then install CentOS and use
LVM to join (using the default layout).

Now I tested this out, and for some reason after the install when the
machine reboots, it just sits on the "press CTRL +E" portion for the
remote access card.

I was reading the manual for this controller, and it states to make
sure that the controller is marked for the boot order in the BIOS.

I can't find this option anywhere. ( I am probably blind).

And on a side note, how have people found these cards for reliability?
Are they true hardware raid? And if not, would I be better off doing
the raid as a software raid?

This machine is going to be a backup server with other machines
rsyncing to it.

Thanks in advance.

Dustin