PE 1950 , linux and TOE

Jens Brey jens at chaos-co.de
Wed Feb 18 02:43:28 CST 2009

Hi Andi,

i think, with CPU power available today, TOE made only sense on 10Gig
ethernet cards and above. All the other stuff is more or less marketing
foo (for me TOE on gigabit cards is pure marketing foo and i got a big
grin everytime i see in the Dell configurator this TOE option...).

To give you a rough idea, i have on a 2950 box, using Software iSCSI
under heavy load (Oracle ORION) over three network cards using multipath
a max. cpu load of five percent.
And the throughput is much higher and the IO system is more reliable
with software iSCSI as with expensive QLogic iSCSI cards!

BR,
Jens