PE 1950 , linux and TOE

Kurt_Olsson at Dell.com Kurt_Olsson at Dell.com
Tue Feb 17 10:15:10 CST 2009

1. Not usable
2. Do not remove the key

Removal of the TOE key is not considered valid and can have unintended consequences beyond merely disabling the TOE feature. Please, do not remove the key.

RH's reasoning for NOT supporting it:
http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/docs/DOC-8708

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com [mailto:linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com] On Behalf Of Robert von Bismarck
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 9:14 AM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: PE 1950 , linux and TOE

Hi all,

We have just received a batch of PE1950 that will be used in a network heavy environment, serving as front-ends to a couple Netapps. These servers have onboard TCP/IP Offloading in hardware, question is : is this feature usable in Linux (we run CentOS 5.2 x86_64) ? If not, does it hurt/help to remove the TOE key that is on the motherboard ?
I've only seen a Windows driver disk for these cards and the broadcom site is not very explicit about this.

Thanks for any hints,

Kind regards,

Robert von Bismarck
Senior Systems Engineer

VTX SERVICES SA
Une société du groupe VTX Telecom
Tel : 021 721 11 11 - Mobile : 079 541 37 28 - VoIP VTX 062 503 79 05
Av. de Lavaux 101 - 1009 Pully
http://www.vtx.ch - robert.von bismarck at vtx-telecom.ch