firmware upgrade on solaris :-)

Kirchner, Kenneth W CTR USA NETCOM/9TH SC A ken.kirchner at us.army.mil
Tue Feb 17 09:01:41 CST 2009

 The only Firmware updates I have seen on Dell's site are packages for
DOS/Windows or Linux.  I was able to upgrade a few things (Like the
BIOS, DVD drive firmware) by creating a DOS boot-disk.  I believe the
firmware for the PERC and DRAC required Windows or Linux. Since I was
installing Redhat, I went with the Linux, but you might get by using a
Linux Rescue CD. I think that will be painful because the linux firmware
updates required older glib libraries than will probably come with the
Rescue CD image.

If you have a USB Harddisk, I would use it to boot Windows on the box
and run the firmware updates from that. I think it would be fastest.

-Ken