Using dev-mapper-multipath instead of Power path

Matthew Geier matthew at acfr.usyd.edu.au
Mon Feb 16 21:13:42 CST 2009

Sid Young wrote:

> G’Day all,
>
> We have switched to using dev-mapper-multipath and disabled the emc
> power path on a couple of 2950 RHEL server, does anyone know if this
> actually frees up our licenses to allow more devices to connect to our
> EMC CX3-10 SAN? If we have 4 licenses, can we now add more machines?

It's been a while since I used a CX array, but I understood there were
the number of hosts the array was licensed to support which was a
different number from the number of power-path licences you may have.
Our array could support 8 hosts but we only had 4 power path licences.
(Which I never used, the RHEL servers were set-up with mapper-multipath).

I think you will find your array will simply not allow more hosts than
it's licensed for to connect.