Basic Monitoring of a PowerEdge SC440

Cody Jarrett cody.jarrett at itfreedom.com
Fri Feb 13 09:09:54 CST 2009

Kevin, I think you are right. I tried to get OMSA running on an SC model
and couldn't I contacted Dell's Linux dept and they stated it doesn't
run on the SC models. The tech I spoke with told me that the SC models
are basically just beefy workstations, and not real servers.

Kevin Davidson wrote:

> On 13 Feb 2009, at 12:34, Mike Peachey wrote:
>
>> I currently own a PowerEdge SC440 and it is running Slackware Linux on a
>> 2.6 kernel (for reasons of security, stability, speed, resource usage
>> etc etc).
>
> Hoping someone can correct me, but I think you're SOL. OMSA does not
> support most of the SC series - they're cheap, budget hardware(!)
> I support an SC440 and have never got lm_sensors or IPMI to work
> (using OpenSUSE 10.2 if it matters - due to be upgraded to 11.1
> sometime soon). The fans, temperatures and case intrusion data do show
> up in the BIOS.
>
> *Kevin Davidson*
> Technical Director
>
> *t* 0870 745 4001
> *m* 07813 149620
> *w* www.indigospring.co.uk <http://www.indigospring.co.uk>

*Cody Jarrett*
/*IT Freedom*/
direct 512.351.4965
cody.jarrett at itfreedom.com
helpdesk 512.419.0070 : fax 512.419.0080